Friday 27 July 2012

Lolita Fashion

Photo from fyeahlolita.tumblr.com
I've always been a big fan of Japanese culture, and pretty soon after getting into anime and learning more about what goes on in Japan, I stumbled across an area of Japanese fashion that appealed to me quite a bit.
I've never really been into cutesy stuff, but lolita changed that quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, there isn't just one area of lolita where everything is pink and frilly, because it covers gothic areas too.
My favourite type of lolita, though I cannot afford to pull it off, is probably elegant gothic aristocrat, as I would really like one of the boy outfits. If I remember rightly its influence was from Victorian outfits.
I also like classic lolita, as I think it looks really smart and cute. The only lolita I actually have though is a dress and skirt which are gothic lolita (and a blouse which no longer fits and was bought from a low quality website which will remain unnamed), as well as a skirt which is sweet lolita from a friend and some bloomers and petticoats. I also have some outfits that need to be altered in the future when I have the time. I can't wait to wear them.
It is not unusual to dress as the opposite gender too. For example, a girl may choose to dress as a boy (like I said before about elegant gothic aristocrat) and a guy may choose to dress as a girl. A famous example of a Japanese celebrity who does this is Mana-sama who often dresses as a woman for videos and public appearances. So jealous. And yet he looks so good in that dress.
Visual kei fashion is also really interesting, and I recommend you checking it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment